Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Altec 415A

  1. #1
    Inactive Member electrovice1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2007
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a pair of these bicone woofers. Can they be reconed as some other Altec woofer?

    Thanks in advance.
    John

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by electrovice1:
    I have a pair of these bicone woofers. Can they be reconed as some other Altec woofer?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hope so, as I have a 415 that I'd like to be a 416A/803B. I haven't talked to Bill at GPA, Though. It looks like the same basket and motor structure to me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member hmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Call Bill at Great Plains Audio

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 415A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I am 99% certain they can, but call Bill.

    I had a pair reconed as 416's but I think they were a little newer. I don't have them anymore so I can't check.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    I am 99% certain they can, but call Bill.

    I had a pair reconed as 416's but I think they were a little newer. I don't have them anymore so I can't check.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newer than what?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 415A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Audio_by_Goodwill:
    [QBNewer than what?[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I get a little confused on the biflexes. Mine MAY have been 420's which is an updated 415A? Or so I understood.

    I had them reconed, wound up getting 4 matching 416 new styles blown and cash in trade. I keep thinking about that dual 15" corner box, can't remember that number either- the 2x15 horn with the 808 muticell on top? I'd have to mod it to fit the new frames, no biggie.

    Anyway, that will get done right after...

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you ..... thank you very much for your complement. I still have the pictures up for my 821A Cabinet Project. I would like to see someone else build a set of these. Let me know if you have any questions about the construction.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:I get a little confused on the biflexes. Mine MAY have been 420's which is an updated 415A? Or so I understood.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've never seen the 420 in person. I'm not sure if I've seen one on Ebay outside of a cabinet, either. There was a set on Ebay, in factory cabinets, a few years ago, the next city over, but I didn't bid to win. I didn't want to pay Ebay prices for a speaker, when I wasn't sold on the concept.

    I had them reconed, wound up getting 4 matching 416 new styles blown and cash in trade. I keep thinking about that dual 15" corner box, can't remember that number either- the 2x15 horn with the 808 muticell on top? I'd have to mod it to fit the new frames, no biggie.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you talking about the real early Altec cabinet, that's so rare? I don't think I'd modify it.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I think OG is talking about the 820, and i "think" he'd be building boxes from scratch so modding the dimensions enough to accomodate large frames shouldn't hurt a thing.

    I reckon OG has built a box or two in the past. forums

    Member Reed Hinton shared his build of 820's here a while back.

    In a word Reed's project and outcome was SPECTACULAR!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.